This page shows how to remove luu.lightquartrate.com from Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer.
Did you just see luu.lightquartrate.com in the status bar of your web browser or in the network log and ask yourself where it came from? Or did luu.lightquartrate.com show up while you search for something on one of the major search engines, such as the Google search engine?
Here is how the luu.lightquartrate.com connection looked like on my system when it showed up in the network log, while I was doing a search at Google:
Here are some of the status bar messages you may see in your browser’s status bar:
- Waiting for luu.lightquartrate.com…
- Transferring data from luu.lightquartrate.com…
- Looking up luu.lightquartrate.com…
- Read luu.lightquartrate.com
- Connected to luu.lightquartrate.com…
If this description sounds like your computer, you most likely have some adware installed on your computer that makes the luu.lightquartrate.com domain appear in your browser. Contacting the site owner would be a waste of time. The luu.lightquartrate.com status bar messages are not coming from them. I’ll try help you to remove the luu.lightquartrate.com status bar messages in this blog post.
Those that have been spending some time on this blog already know this, but here we go: Recently I dedicated a few of my lab computers and deliberately installed some adware programs on them. I have been tracking the behaviour on these machines to see what kinds of advertisements that are displayed. I’m also looking on other interesting things such as if the adware auto-updates, or if it downloads and installs additional unwanted software on the systems. I first spotted the luu.lightquartrate.com in Mozilla Firefox’s status bar on one of these lab computers.
luu.lightquartrate.com resolves to the 18.104.22.168 IP address. luu.lightquartrate.com was registered on 2014-08-14 and is protected by WHOISGUARD, INC.
So, how do you remove luu.lightquartrate.com from your web browser? On the machine where luu.lightquartrate.com showed up in the status bar I had CheckMeUp installed. I removed it with FreeFixer and that stopped the browser from loading data from luu.lightquartrate.com.
It seems as luu.lightquartrate.com is getting quite a lot of traffic, based on Alexa’s traffic rank:
The problem with status bar messages like this one is that it can be caused by many variants of adware, not just the adware on my computer. I think that adware such as SaferSurf, BlockAndSurf, NewPlayer and SpeedCheck can also be responsible for luu.lightquartrate.com appearing in the browser. And there are probably other variants too. This makes it impossible to say exactly what you need to remove to stop the statusbar messages.
So, what should done to solve the problem? To remove luu.lightquartrate.com you need to check your system for adware or other types of unwanted software and uninstall it. Here’s my suggested removal procedure:
- Examine what programs you have installed in the Add/Remove programs dialog in the Windows Control Panel. Do you see something that you don’t remember installing or that was recently installed?
- How about your add-ons you have in your web browsers. Anything in the list that you don’t remember installing?
- If that does not help, I’d recommend a scan with FreeFixer to manually track down the adware. FreeFixer is a freeware tool that I’m working on that scans your computer at lots of locations, such as browser add-ons, processes, Windows services, recently modified files, etc. If you want to get additional details about a file in the scan result, you can click the More Info link for that file and a web page will open up with a VirusTotal report which will be very useful to determine if the file is safe or malware:
Did you find any adware on your machine? Did that stop luu.lightquartrate.com? Please post the name of the adware you uninstalled from your machine in the comment below.