Hello readers. Hope you are doing ok. Did you just spot something called HQ-Video-Pro-2.1cV02.11 on your system? HQ-Video-Pro-2.1cV02.11 appears to be a variant of CrossRider that I’ve written about before. If the HQ-Video-Pro-2.1cV02.11 adware is installed on your machine, you will notice ads labeled Visual Search Results and Powered by HQ-Video-Pro-2.1cV02.11 in Google’s search results. I’ll show how to remove HQ-Video-Pro-2.1cV02.11 in this blog post with the FreeFixer removal tool.
Here it is in Firefox’ add-on menu:
HQ-Video-Pro-2.1cV02.11 is distributed by a tactic called bundling. Bundling means that a piece of software is included in other software’s installers. When I first found HQ-Video-Pro-2.1cV02.11, it was bundled with a piece of software called FastPlayer.
Generally, you can avoid bundled software such as HQ-Video-Pro-2.1cV02.11 by being careful when installing software and declining the bundled offers in the installer.
When I find some new bundled software I always upload it to VirusTotal to verify if the anti-malware software there detect anything suspicious. The detection rate is 7/54. Some of the detection names for HQ-Video-Pro-2.1cV02.11 are Trojan.NSIS.GoogUpdate.dt, PUP.Optional.HQVideo.A and Crossrider (fs). The files are signed by “Radon Battery Technologies“.
Removing HQ-Video-Pro-2.1cV02.11 is pretty easy with FreeFixer. The screen capture that should help you along the way: You might have to restart your machine to complete the removal.
Hope that helped you to figure out how to do the removal.
Any idea how HQ-Video-Pro-2.1cV02.11 was installed on your computer? Please let me and the readers know by posting a comments. Thanks!
Hope you found this useful and thanks you for reading.
Update 2014-11-04: Today another variant was released called HQ-Video-Pro-2.1cV03.11. I guess we will see more variants where just the version number is increased:
- HQ-Video-Pro-2.1cV04.11 (Yeah, found 5th Nov 2014)
- HQ-Video-Pro-2.1cV05.11 (Found on the 6th of November)
- HQ-Video-Pro-2.1cV07.11 (Found 13th of November)
- HQ-Video-Pro-2.1cV10.11 (Found 13th of November)
- HQ-Video-Pro-2.1cV14.11 (Found 15th of Nov)
- HQ-Video-Pro-2.1cV15.11 (Found 16th of Nov)
- HQ-Video-Pro-2.1cV16.11 (Found 16th Nov)
- HQ-Video-Pro-2.1cV17.11 (Found 17th Nov)
- HQ-Video-Pro-2.1cV18.11 (Found 19th Nov)
- HQ-Video-Pro-2.1cV19.11 (Found 20th Nov)
- HQ-Video-Pro-2.1cV23.11 (Found 23 Nov)
- HQ-Video-Pro-2.1cV24.11 (Found 24 Nov)
- HQ-Video-Pro-2.1cV28.11 (Found 28 Nov)
Update 2014-11-13: Now the files are signed by Space Battleship Creative. They seems to be located in Nicosia, Cyprus.
Update 2014-11-19: Now the files are signed by Winston Project:
Update 2014-12-02: New naming convention:
(Found 9 Dec 2014)